- 4 filo pastry sheets, kept under a damp cloth or tea towel
- 2 tbs olive oil, plus extra for brushing and drizzling
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbs fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 large waxy potato, peeled, diced into 2cm chunks
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tsp ras-el-hanout or Moroccan seasoning
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 small bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbs soft brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 190C (375F).
Line a 20cm (8-inch) round baking dish or tart tin with three of the pastry sheets, brushing between the layers with olive oil. Trim their edges to fit as necessary.
Heat olive oil in a frying pan set over a medium heat until hot. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, celery, potato and a pinch of salt, cooking for about 7-8 minutes or until softened.
Stir in the chicken and spices, cooking for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the chopped coriander. Season to taste.
Spoon pie filling into the lined baking dish. Top with the final filo pasty sheet, trimming the edges to fit as needed. Brush the pastry with olive oil and sprinkle with the sugar and some ground cinnamon.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden-brown and crisp at the edges. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.