- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 large white potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 L gluten-free vegetable stock
- 450 g (3 cups) fresh or frozen peas, thawed if frozen
- 200 g (8 cups) watercress, washed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 air-dried ham slices, e. g. prosciutto or jamón serrano
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 120 g (1/2 cup) sour cream
For the soup: Heat the olive oil in a saucepan set over a medium heat until hot.
Add the shallot, garlic, celery, and a generous pinch of salt, sweating until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
Add the potato and stock, and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potato is soft.
Stir in two-thirds of the peas and two-thirds of the watercress and simmer until the peas are tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and purée with an immersion blender; you can also do this step in a food processor or a blender.
Return the soup to a very gentle simmer and season to taste with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
To serve: Preheat the grill to hot. Arrange the ham slices on a grilling tray and grill until golden-brown at the edges, about 2-3 minutes.
In the meantime, whip the whipping cream to soft peaks in a mixing bowl. Fold through the sour cream until thick and spoonable.
Divide the remaining peas and watercress between serving bowls. Ladle the soup into the bowls and garnish with the ham and some of the whipped cream before serving.