- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium courgette, coarsely grated
- 30 g pecorino romano, finely grated
- 60 g sourdough breadcrumbs
- 100 g soft goat’s cheese
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/5 kg whole chicken, tunnel deboned by the butcher with leg bones left in place
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- freshly ground black pepper
- 125 g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp French tarragon, chopped
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 200 g asparagus, trimmed
- 175 g French beans, topped and tailed
- 125 g sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 125 g garden peas, defrosted if frozen
- lemon wedges, to garnish
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 10 minutes to soften without colouring. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes, then stir in the grated courgette and cook for 5 minutes to evaporate off the excess moisture. Leave to cool.
Preheat the oven to 200°C (180° fan).
Tip the cooled courgette mixture into a bowl and combine with the pecorino, breadcrumbs, goat’s cheese, lemon zest and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pack the stuffing into the boned chicken and truss the legs with kitchen string. Smear the skin of the chicken with butter and season with salt and pepper.
Roast the chicken for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a probe thermometer reads 65°C (149F). Cover loosely with foil and leave to rest somewhere warm.
Make the herb butter by beating the butter with the herbs, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the vegetables in boiling salted water for 4 minutes or until just tender.
Serve the chicken with the herb butter, green vegetables and a few lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Serves 4 – 6