- 200g (1 1/4 cups) brown rice
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- 1 pinch caster sugar
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 300g (2 cups) edamame beans
- 2 candy cane beets or raw beetroot, peeled
- 2 sheets nori seaweed, chopped
- 400g sushi-grade tuna, cubed
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
- 2-3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, sliced
- 50g (2 cups) salad leaves, washed
- 2 red chillis, deseeded, sliced
- 2 tbs black and white sesame seeds
- Pickled ginger, to serve
- Pansies, optional, to garnish
Combine the rice and stock in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil over a moderately high heat, then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed the stock and is tender.
Meanwhile, warm the vinegar with the sugar in a small saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the sliced red onion and set aside to cool.
Steam the edamame for about 3 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool. Thinly slice the beets on a mandolin set to the thinnest setting.
When the rice is ready, remove from the heat and let cool, still covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in the chopped seaweed and adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide the rice, tuna, edamame and beets between serving bowls. Arrange the remaining ingredients around the bowls. Serve immediately.