- 2 free-range eggs or Flax Eggs
- 2 tbs mashed very ripe banana (about 1/2 banana)
- 185 g (3/4 cup) Pumpkin Puree
- 105 g (2/3 cup) coconut sugar
- 3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing and drizzling
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or powder
- 3 tbs maple syrup, coconut nectar or monk fruit syrup
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) filtered water
- 100 g (1 cup) almond meal
- 125 g (1 cup) arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 3 tbs coconut flour
Crumbly Top (optional)
- 3 tbs granulated coconut sugar
- 2 tbs almond meal
- 2 tbs arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 2 tbs roughly chopped pecans
- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a large 6-hole or standard 9-hole muffin tin with oil or line it with paper cases.
Add the eggs and mashed banana to a large bowl and whisk together gently to combine, leaving some small chunks of banana for lovely texture. Add the pumpkin puree, coconut sugar, olive oil, vanilla and sweetener of your choice and whisk for 1 minute, then stir in the bicarb, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Pour in the water, whisking as you go, until well combined, then add the almond meal, arrowroot or tapioca flour and coconut flour and stir just enough to form a thick, scoop-able batter.
Spoon the batter evenly among the muffin holes. If you’re making the crumbly top, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands or a fork to a wet sand-like texture, then generously top the muffins with it.
Bake the muffins for 30 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out completely clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature with a generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.