- 400 g (1 bunch) rhubarb stalks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup stevia
- 1 tbs cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 vanilla beans, split and seeds scraped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 sheets ready-made frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg white (free-range, organic), lightly beaten, for brushing
- Icing sugar or icing stevia, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 160C (315F).
Put the rhubarb, stevia, cornflour, vanilla and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well to combine. Transfer to a colander over a large bowl to drain off liquid for 2–3 hours. Discard the liquid.
Line the base of a lightly greased 22 cm (8½ inch) pie tin with one sheet of the pastry, ensuring the pastry reaches the sides of the tin. Spoon the drained rhubarb mixture onto the pastry.
Using a ravioli cutter or knife, cut another sheet of pastry into 8–12 strips, each 2 cm (¾ inch) wide. Arrange the strips on top of the pie to make a lattice pattern. Press the edges to seal and trim off the excess.
Brush with egg white and sprinkle with icing sugar or icing stevia.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp.