- 70 g (½ cup) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 50 g (½ cup) almond meal
- 60 g (½ cup) vanilla protein powder
- 20 g (¼ cup) shredded coconut
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large, overripe bananas (almost black), peeled and mashed
- 125 ml (½ cup) rice malt syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 egg whites
- 1 banana, extra, to serve
- 1 tbs honey, to glaze
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Grease or spray a 10 x 20 cm (4 x 8 inch) loaf tin with olive oil. Line the tin with baking paper.
In a large bowl, combine the self-raising flour, almond meal, protein powder, coconut and cinnamon. Add the mashed banana, rice malt syrup, vanilla bean paste and egg whites, and mix until just combined.
Spoon the mix into the loaf tin and top with the extra banana, halved lengthways. Bake for 45-50 minutes. If you see that the bread begins to brown too much on the top before it’s cooked through, cover the loaf with foil for the remainder of the cooking time. Brush the top with honey while the loaf is still warm, then allow to cool.