- 2 tbs olive oil or coconut oil, melted
- 175g (1 cup) pearl barley
- 1 white cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 large onion, grated
- 300g (2 cups) smoked tofu, drained, cubed
- 200ml almond milk, unsweetened
- 200ml coconut milk
- 100g (1 cup) shredded vegan cheese
- 1 handful chives, snipped, to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Grease a round gratin or casserole dish with the oil.
Cover the pearl barley with about 5cm (2 inches) water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and then cook at a steady simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain well.
Toss together the vegetables, drained barley and tofu in a mixing bowl with some salt and pepper to taste. Arrange in the casserole dish.
Stir together the two milks and pour over the vegetables. Top with the shredded cheese. Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until golden brown on top and at the edges.
Remove from the oven and let stand briefly before serving with a garnish of chives on top.