- 165g (1 cup) spelt grains, soaked overnight then drained, or quinoa
- 150g (1 cup) Brussels sprouts, scored
- 2 tbs groundnut or sunflower oil
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced diagonally
- 200g (8 cups) English spinach, washed, roughly torn
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Combine the drained spelt with 750ml water in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to the boil over a high heat, cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for about 45 minutes or until the grains are tender and slightly chewy.
Meanwhile, par-boil the sprouts in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water for about 5 minutes or until tender to the tip of a knife. Drain well and rinse under cold running water.
When the spelt is ready, drain if needed.
Heat the oil in a large wok set over a moderate heat until hot. Add the chilli, spring onion and a pinch of salt, stir-frying for 2 minutes.
Add the zucchini, spinach, sprouts and another pinch of salt, stir-frying for about 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted and the zucchini is just tender.
Stir in the spelt and some lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste before serving from the wok.