- 600 g baby beetroot, trimmed, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g puy lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp walnut oil
- 75 g walnuts, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, stems removed
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, stems removed
Preheat the oven to 220°C (200° fan).
Put the beetroot in the centre of a large sheet of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then fold up the sides and crimp firmly to seal.
Bake the package of beetroot for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the lentils in a large saucepan with 1-litre water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked, but still firm. Drain well.
While the beetroot and lentils are cooking, put the onions in a bowl and add the vinegar, sugar and a big pinch of salt. Stir, then leave to macerate.
When the beetroot and lentils are ready, stir the walnut oil into the onions, then toss this dressing with the beetroot, lentils, walnuts and herbs. Serve warm or at room temperature.