- 2 tbs sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 175g (1 cup) red lentils
- 475g (2 cups) canned chickpeas, drained
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- 150g (6 cups) baby spinach, washed
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
Heat the oil in a large saucepan set over a medium heat until hot.
Add the onion and a pinch of salt, sweating for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger and chillies, sweating for a further 4-5 minutes or until golden.
Stir in the spices and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2-3 minutes until aromatic. Stir in the lentils, chickpeas and stock. Bring to a boil, cook for 2 minutes, then reduce to a simmer.
Stir in the coconut milk. Simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the lentils and chickpeas are very tender.
Add the spinach and cauliflower to the curry. Cover and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes until the spinach is wilted and cauliflower is tender to the tip of a knife. Season to taste before serving.