- 2 large eggplants, cut into 0.5cm-thick discs
- 2 tbs olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 475g (2 cups) canned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 tsp dried basil, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 pinch sugar
- 125g (3/4 cup) feta, crumbled
- 60g (1/2 cup) parmesan, grated
- Basil leaves, to garnish
Arrange the eggplant discs on a large tray lined with kitchen paper. Generously salt both sides and set aside for 10 minutes to extract as much water as possible.
Wipe off any water and excess salt from the eggplant with kitchen paper.
Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish set over a medium heat until hot. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt, and cook for about 5-6 minutes until softened.
Stir in the tomatoes, dried herbs, sugar and a splash of water, bringing to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and continue simmering for about 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C (350F).
When the sauce is ready, season to taste. Spoon into a 20cm (8 inch) round baking dish. Arrange the eggplant discs on top, overlapping them to cover the sauce entirely.
Top with both cheeses in an even layer. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Bake for about 40-50 minutes until golden-brown on top and bubbling at the edges. Remove from the oven and let stand briefly before serving with a garnish of basil leaves.