- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 pinch caster sugar
- 675g (3 cups) canned chopped tomatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 150g cherry tomatoes, on the vine, picked
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 white pita bread
- 2 tbs butter, softened
- 3 tsp nigella seeds
- 3 tsp fennel seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan set over a medium heat until hot.
Add the garlic, shallot, chilli, red capsicum and a generous pinch of salt, frying until softened and starting to colour for 4-5 minutes.
Stir in the paprika, dried herbs and sugar and cook for 1 minute before covering with the chopped tomatoes.
Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook over a low heat until thickened for 6-8 minutes.
Once thickened, season to taste with salt and pepper. Crack the eggs on top, cover again with the lid and cook for a further 4-6 minutes until the eggs are set.
Remove the lid and scatter the cherry tomatoes and parsley on top. Set off the heat to cool.
Warm the pita bread in a toaster or under a hot grill. Spread with butter and sprinkle with the seeds, serving with shakshuka.