- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 yellow peppers, quartered and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 400 g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 jar smoked or chargrilled peppers, approx. 175 g drained weight
- 2 bay leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 4 large eggs
- pita bread, to serve
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. Fry the onion and peppers over a medium heat for 15 minutes or until soft and sweet.
Add the garlic and spices and stir over a low heat for 2 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, chargrilled peppers and bay leaves and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan).
Remove the bay leaves, then divide the stew between four ovenproof pans or baking dishes. Make a hollow in the tops with the back of a spoon, then crack an egg into each one.
Bake the shakshukas for 10 minutes or until the egg whites have set, but the yolks are still runny. Season with black pepper, garnish with fresh bay leaves and serve with toasted pita bread.