- 300 g (2 cups) raw beetroot, chopped
- 275 g (3 cups) white cabbage, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 225 g (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 250 ml distilled or cider vinegar
- 1 tbs horseradish sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 250 g vintage Cheddar, or other cheese or your choosing
- 1 small baguette, sliced
- 2 – 3 thyme sprigs
Combine the beetroot, cabbage, onion, sugar, vinegar, horseradish sauce, and salt in a heavy-based saucepan.
Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce to a simmer, cooking and stirring occasionally until thickened, 30-40 minutes.
Spoon into a sterilised jar and cover with lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Store in a cool, dark cupboard.
When ready, serve alongside Cheddar, baguette, and a garnish of thyme.
Serves 8 or 1 jar