- 3 tbs butter
- 2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs plain (all-purpose) flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 200 g button mushrooms
- 1 medium baked chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (it’s totally okay to use a ready-cooked barbecue chicken)
- 2 tbs chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- Half a 375 g packet filo pastry
- 1 tbs butter, melted, for brushing the filo pastry
- 1 egg (free-range, organic), lightly beaten
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek and celery, stirring until they just begin to soften. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and stir until the mixture thickens.
In a frying pan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook the mushrooms until golden. Add the shredded chicken, the leek mixture and the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C (350F), then line a 10-18 cm (4-7 inch) pie dish with half of the sheets of filo pastry, brushing every few sheets with melted butter.
Fill with the chicken mixture.
Lay the remaining sheets of pastry over the filling and tuck the edges into the pie dish to seal. Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg.
Bake for 45–50 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and stand for 5 minutes before serving.