- 4 eggs (free-range, organic) plus 4 egg yolks
- 170 ml (2/3 cup) honey or 250 ml (1 cup) rice malt syrup
- 250 ml (1 cup) lemon juice
- Zest of 4 lemons
- 125 g (1/2 cup) butter or coconut oil
- 1 ready-made tart shell, 20 cm (8 inch) diameter
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks, honey (or rice malt syrup, if using), lemon juice and zest, and add a generous pinch of salt.
Add the butter or coconut oil and cook over medium–low heat, whisking constantly for about 8 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
Strain through a sieve and pour the mixture into the tart shell. Allow to cool slightly, then refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.