- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 250 g (3 cups) shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 1 -inch fresh ginger root, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/4 L reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 450 g (3 cups) firm tofu, cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 100 g (1 cup) mangetout, halved
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 200 g rice noodles
- 1 handful coriander, roughly torn
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Freshly ground white pepper, or black pepper
Toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan set over a medium heat until golden and aromatic, 1-2 minutes. Tip out into a bowl and set aside.
Heat the sunflower oil in a large saucepan set over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms, ginger, garlic, and a pinch of salt, sautéing until the mushrooms release their juices and start to colour, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the stock and bring to a steady simmer. Stir in the tofu, carrots, mangetout, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Return to a simmer and cook until the carrots are tender to the tip of a knife, about 12-15 minutes.
Add the noodles to the broth and return to a simmer until soft to the bite, about 6-8 minutes. Discard the garlic and ginger.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with the toasted sesame seeds, coriander, and lime wedges.