- 150 g pearl barley
- 1 small pumpkin; or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 leek; halved and sliced
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 350 g firm tofu; cut into rectangles
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander; finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
Put the barley in a large saucepan with 1.75 litres water. Set over a high heat and boil vigorously for 10 minutes.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the pumpkin and simmer for 15 minutes, then add the leek and simmer for a further 15 minutes or until the barley is cooked and the vegetables are tender. If the liquid level gets too low, just top up with a little more water.
Ladle a third of the soup into a liquidiser and blend until smooth, then stir it back into the saucepan. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the miso paste to taste.
Ladle into bowls and adding the tofu as you go, then garnish with finely chopped coriander and black pepper.